Saturday, June 16, 2007

Will The Manufacturer of Oxy Feel the Pain?

Recently, the guys at Purdue Pharma admitted that Oxy was more addictive than they let on. So, they agreed to pay up. The money will be distributed to US state governments so that they'll have money to clean up the mess (i.e., pay for treatment programs, law enforcement, etc.).

The question though, is whether or not the Gods of Oxy will feel any pain as a result.

Russel Mokhiber has published an article entitled "Twenty Things You Should Know About Corporate Crime" (see point number 11) which gives one the impression that there's a kind of Oxy that can be prescribed to corporations, allowing them to continue to live their lives free of pain.

Reportedly, the Oxy Gods took a huge hit of this magic corporate dust that prevents corporate pain, just before agreeing to pay for their misdeeds. In many cases, corporations have more than one organizational structure, and may hold within the realm of their parent company, several 'corporate children' composed of holding companies, self-insurance companies, and other organizations that only exist on paper.

It looks like the Gods of Oxy may have merely sacrificed one of their corporate children rather than take the hit themselves. Evidently, corporate children are simply bastards. Any allusions to the story of Abraham should stop here.

The demise of the Oxy chieftains doesn't phase me. They'll scrape up a few hundred million to pay the price for the privilege of continuing to operate, the money will trickle to the states where it will buy bullet-proof vests for cops and pay the overtime for a receptionist at a poorly run state treatment program. Meanwhile, kids will still grind 'em and snort 'em, somebody will wake up in the morning lying next to a cold stiff body, and grandma's habit will intensify.

Nothing will change. No pain, no gain.

Love,

Gus

(heh heh heh...)

2 comments:

SuboxoneMom said...

So the receive a fine that will go to our government to clean up this mess. Rehabs, law enforcement. But what about the victims who unknowingly believed that it wasn't addictive. Those victims who have lost their families, homes, savings, and most of all the ability to deal with life on life's terms today? What do they get? A life of addiction, whether actively "using" or "in recovery" should not have been their lot in life. It was imposed unto them from the "Oxy God's".

Janice

Anonymous said...

The government "mule" will take and take without remorse or conscience. The "Oxy Gods" are the same as any other huge corporation and/or lobbyist group ( Think Power and Energy? ). If I continue on this topic it could get ugly! =) Money talks and Bull-Shit walks.

I recently went through withdrawals from 4 each 40 mg ( 160 Mg .. duh ) per day Oxy and 30 mg Morphine per day addiction. I say "went through" when I should say "STILL GOING THROUGH". I am now approximately three months into my cold turkey detox/withdrawal from both Oxy and Morphine at the same time. I STILL feel like( excuse my french ) WARMED OVER DOG SHIT. Almost 90 DAYS and it is NOT over! Yes, the worse part of the physical symptoms are over like the sweating, shaking, kicking legs ( well kicking restless everything was my personal experience. You could compare it to RLS but call it RBS=Restless Body Syndrome ), agitation-extreme, headaches, sleep-deprivation, blurry vision, and "most" of the digestive issues.

NOTE: Sleep-Deprivation Continues 90 days in!

As of now I have little or no energy. My brain is still waking up. Some days are clear, some are not. I should say, some hours of some days are clear. The fatigue is, as of now, the worse part for me. Of course, the extreme fatigue has more than likely been caused by everything that my body has gone through in the past three months. I am not a Doctor, but I assume this to be the case with a little common sense applied to the facts. One of the facts being that I have not had a solid nights sleep since I stopped taking the Oxy and Morphine. Matter of fact, I have been getting about one to three hours sleep at a time at the MOST per night. That causes my body to try and sleep during the day because of the fatigue and it is a never ending cycle.

I am starting to ramble in my post. Probably because this is the first time/place I have had the chance to "vent" where REAL people are talking about the REAL issues and TRUTH of OXY withdrawals and addiction (legal or not). Yes there are other forums, sites, blogs, etc, however, I find this blog to be the most brutally honest and real. On this blog I find the un-polished TRUTH of this hellish nightmare.

As I mentioned earlier, I cold turkey'd Oxycontin and Morphine at the same time after over four years of daily "prescribed" addiction.
Morphine withdrawal i sno picnic either. I was prescribed Morphine alone for the first three months and when the docs switched me to Oxy beause the Morphine was making me sleep constantly, I got a first hand taste of Morphine withdrawal alone. Both together I could not tell the difference being they were both in the Opiate family.

The internet is so full of pamphlets and text-book info that you can not find any real help, just a lot of bullshit, which in turn means, that is more than likely what you will find in the "real" world docs and clinics. The same old text-book treatments and Yes, believe it as I know you will if you have searched around the net for answers you find loads of crap that tell you this, that and the other but never focus on real help. Yes, I found sub-oxone info/docs, but to tell you the truth, I did not want to have another crutch and did not know enough about it so I went cold turkey.

If this post seems incoherent, it probably IS.

Still foggy and tired, so tired. Nothing should have that much control over a person.

Will we ever be the same?

I had back surgery and nerve damage and lived alone and could not physically function for the first couple of years without pain relief, thus the prescribed meds were a life saver. At some point the doctors should have re-evaluated, but I can not blame them, or can I? Most importantly, do I even care to? Blame may not be the operative word here. Should the word be "educate"?
Blame may not be as important as finding a way to REALLY help people that really want help and also those that don't think they want help. They also deserve a chance.

The "Oxy Gods" need to take some extreme action in helping clean up this crap.

Peace
Don

About this Blog

For the past ten years I have been writing about my experience using oxycodone, the active ingredient in OxyContin, Percocet, and other prescription painkillers. I eventually developed a tolerance, then dependence, and became addicted. My archive covers my abuse of these drugs and my effors to quit using them.

I have tried to accurately report my experience without a sense of advocacy. It is my hope that you'll be able to make your own conclusions, as well as find my story factual, informative, and interesting.