Thursday, July 26, 2007

OxyContin Addiction: Blame The Victim

In light of the recent OxyContin lawsuit, The Eagle-Tribune, a newspaper from a suburb north of Boston, ran an opinion/editorial today suggesting that pharmaceutical companies can do some bad things, but that the "ultimate responsibility" lies with the drug user.

Something about that pissed me off.

I whacked away at the keyboard with the following response, which basically mirrors my manifesto. I hope you enjoy it. A link to the Op/Ed is at the end. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

To the Editor:

I was one of the people referred to in a recent Eagle-Tribune editorial who became addicted to OxyContin by “…crushing it and snorting it up the nose to achieve an instant high.” The editorial asks the question “…who is responsible for the addiction?”

Despite the sarcastic response to the question by the Eagle-Tribune, I choose to stand exposed and humbly admit that the responsibility was mine. However, the assertion by the Eagle-Tribune that “…the ultimate responsibility for prescription drug abuse rests with those who misuse products intended to provide relief from legitimate medical conditions…” is shallow and far too simplistic.

The active ingredient in OxyContin is oxycodone. Oxycodone is made from opium. Opium comes from a plant called papaver somniferum, the opium poppy. The main source for the opium in oxycodone is Afghanistan, where it is legally grown under controls by the United Nations.

The active ingredient in heroin comes from opium, which is made from papaver somniferum, the same poppy plant that makes the opium for OxyContin. The main source for the opium in heroin is Afghanistan, where it is grown illegally.

When I abused OxyContin, I didn’t have a “heroin-like” high. I had the exact same high.

The Eagle-Tribune could have asked a better question, which is: despite all of our advances in modern medicine, why is it that our front-line response to severe pain is virtually identical to the same drug that has been turning good people into drug-crazed junkies since the beginning of civilization? Can we seriously tell cancer victims that the best we can offer them is a modern-day version of the same opiate that made life-long addicts out of wounded soldiers in the Civil War? Is telling a sufferer of debilitating, chronic arthritis that the best medicine we can prescribe is a derivative of the same drug that killed John Belushi, Chris Farley, and Janis Joplin? How can we not laugh at the insanity of our doctors being urged by pharmaceutical companies to prescribe a variation of the same drug, from the same poppy plant that was used by Hippocrates over 2400 years ago?

Is OxyContin a miracle drug or is it merely the same old thing dressed up in a new a costume, hand sewn by pharmaceutical executives? If OxyContin was a miracle drug, it could not be abused, and as a result, this conversation wouldn’t be necessary.

We imprison the sellers of heroin and seize the profits from their activities because of the harm their product causes our society. When a company sells a drug that can be diverted from legitimate use, then be traded, abused, and destroy lives, the Eagle-Tribune would have us believe that the company is ultimately absolved because those who died merely lacked the moral capacity to accept responsibility and were therefore deserving of their death.

If it is assumed that Purdue Pharma was paid for every single tablet of OxyContin that left their factories, then it must be true that every time I snorted a crushed tablet of OxyContin, the money eventually found its way back to Purdue Pharma. If I was wrong for snorting their OxyContin, is Purdue Pharma right for keeping my money? The Eagle-Tribune would have us believe that if a pharmaceutical company warns the public that a drug has the potential to be used in a harmful way, the company is relieved of responsibility. Using that same logic, I should be able to sell heroin as long as I sell it to someone with the “intent to provide relief from legitimate medical conditions such as chronic pain.” How can the position of the Eagle-Tribune draw a distinction? After all, heroin and OxyContin are twin alkaloid brothers of the same mother poppy, and heroin could be legitimately used to kill the same pain that OxyContin does.

To recover from my addiction to OxyContin, I was prescribed a real miracle drug, another opiate derivative called Suboxone. Without it I would still be addicted, or spending the rest of my life going to a Methadone clinic. The government is so concerned about people misusing Suboxone that the manufacturer has been required by the D.E.A. to formulate it in a complex way that would radically sicken anyone who tried to abuse it. As a result, addicts take this new medicine as intended and they get well. The government placed strict requirements on how the Suboxone can be administered, who can administer it, and even placed a limit on the number of patients a doctor may prescribe it to. Getting treatment with this new miracle drug is difficult because of the few doctors who are willing to put up the training and reporting the government requires. The difficulty I faced in getting this life-saving treatment led me to one last revealing question.

After making the reprehensible suggestion that those who died from abusing OxyContin are ultimately responsible for their own deaths, my final question is one that the Eagle-Tribune doesn’t have the empathy to understand, but is quite capable of answering:

Why is it so easy to obtain and abuse OxyContin in this country, but so difficult to obtain and abuse the medicine that heals those who are addicted to it?

Should the Eagle-Tribune care to consider the answer to that question, they will find the truth about where the ultimate responsibility for prescription drug abuse lies.


The original Op/Ed piece resides at The Eagle-Tribune.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

In my opinion Oxycodine is not addicting when taken while the user is in serious pain. I am 15 and take Oxycodine when needed for back pain caused by a 130 degree curve of the spine (note: doctors change the way they read it so 0 is normal) I will be having a major surgery in around a week form now, but this surgery is going to cause such a high amount of pain in the recovery time that Oxycodine wont be enough so they will use morphine pump. I am NOT addicted to the drug , and only take it every week or so when i have too much pain. I take 2 5mg tablets, which is ALOT for my size and weight.
Oxycodine IS a miracle drug when it is not sold illegally, it is very hard to get it prescribed because the doctors are afraid to.
Addiction will never sweep me away be cause 1. i hate alcohol (yes iv'e gotten drunk b4) 2. i think anyone who smokes is a complete idiot because they know how bad it is 3. Oxycodine makes me itchy, and feel like i have no energy. the only thing i'm addicted to is sleep, for i can sleep for up to 21 hrs straight for no reason.

Selva said...

OxyContin is a powerful prescribed painkiller but did you also know it is synthetic heroin? The supply of OxyContin and abuse of it is soaring. Sales hit $1.2 billion last year and that’s only for legal prescriptions. Nearly 10% of the U.S. population (19.9 million) use painkillers illegally. Many originations provide Oxycontin Addiction Treatment for those addicted persons for cheep cost…

Anonymous said...

As the director of Novus Medical Detox, I daily see the effects of OxyContin addiction. Often starting because of a prescription from a doctor, this drug takes the same hold as heroin and then the person will often do anything to get it.

This is an epidemic and is causing not only more deaths but more ruined lives every day.

Why import heroin when you can get OxyContin?

Steve Hayes
http://novusdetox.com

Anonymous said...

hi guys are you looking for addiction
treatment
richard
Addiction treatment and recovery resources for the addict and their families. http://www.addictiontreatment.net

Anonymous said...

I believe that many a drug is addictive, and drug companies should be held liable. Is it our fault that we may have an addictive personality and abuse a drug? I believe we are all left up to our own devices, but are we able to make the proper choices?? Some of us yes and many others no. I have never taken oxycotton or snorted or injected it, but the opiate intrigues me...why is it so powerful? Why does it leave us wanting more...if I should be dying of cancer I want it tenfold...and how!! I don't want to feel pain I want to embrace death without fear of pain...don't you?

Unknown said...

Wow! I appreciate your prose, but ponder at your logic. It seems to me that today the most harmful drug is the legal one: Alcohol!
Yes, heroin and oxycontin ARE brothers, but is it really the fault of the drug companies that make painkillers that we addicts abuse them? Should the bartender be held liable when we drink and drive and kill someone? NO! Are we not the masters of our destiny? For that matter, what would happen if all drugs were legal instead of just a choice few? The gov't could tax them and let the people figure it out. We have to stop blaming the "other guy" and suck it up ourselves!

Anonymous said...

My name is Kim Adam and i would like to show you my personal experience with Oxycontin.

I have taken for 3 years. I am 23 years old. I think it is the best pain killer there is. Although it's coming very abused, I think that it is a very powerful reliever and that more doctors should look into it for pain relief.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
mild dependency and constipation

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Kim Adam

Bornna said...

"Due to my chronic back pain my Dr. Had prescribed Oxycontin, until it became difficult for me to obtain that medicine. Luckily an old Army buddy of mine told me about www.PainClinicColombia.com Now my treatment is the way it should be, according to his opinion. Dr. Aluma, thanks so much

Emily Williams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily Williams said...

Visit Wayrightmeds.com to Buy Oxycontin Online for severe pain.

--------Click Now: Buy Oxycontin Online------

100 % Highest Quality!
Best quality drugs at Affordable Prices
NO PRIOR P R E S C R I P T I O N NEEDED!
100% Anonymity & Discreet shipping
FDA approved
Friendly customer support
Watchful packaging
Many payment options: Visa, MasterCard, Paypal, American Express, Automated Clearing House (ACH) and etc.

James Smith said...


Online Medz Pharmacy is a website that provides various types of medications. We help the persons who are suffering from some severe diseases like sleep disorder, ADHD, Weight loss, pain relief and anxiety disorder by providing them Xanax, Vicodin, Tramadol, and other drugs. We have all types of Generics and brands of medications with several strengths.

Buy Ativan 1mg Online
Buy Oxycontin Online
Buy Percocet Online
Buy Adderall Online
Buy Xanax Online

About this Blog

For the past ten years I have been writing about my experience using oxycodone, the active ingredient in OxyContin, Percocet, and other prescription painkillers. I eventually developed a tolerance, then dependence, and became addicted. My archive covers my abuse of these drugs and my effors to quit using them.

I have tried to accurately report my experience without a sense of advocacy. It is my hope that you'll be able to make your own conclusions, as well as find my story factual, informative, and interesting.